Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sorry, I don't feel like coming up with a title for this post! Deal with it....

Well, we put Tahirah in preschool after all. The same family who's son goes to Carson's school has a daughter that goes to this preschool. It is $20 cheaper than the one Carson went to so I decided to go ahead and put her in. Tahirah loves it! She didn't have any problem at all going the first day. So, now I have two hours with only two kids three times a week.....very strange!

Landon got his first tooth and is working hard on his second one. There have been many tears but hopefully it will pop through soon so mommy can have little break from the ornery baby until the next one decides to come. I hate teething.....

I've been keeping busy getting ready for the primary program. A couple of weeks ago I made this chart with all the songs listed on it. Next to the songs I had a thumbs up sign which I put a brad in so you could turn it. I also made a larger thumbs up with a brad on it and placed it on a piece if cardboard. I told the kids that we were going to go through each of the songs and see how well they could sing them. I gave my helper the larger thumbs up and she moved it while they sang the song. Whichever way the thumb was pointing by the end of the song was the way we moved the thumb on the chart. The goal was to get all "thumbs up" on each of the songs. For an added bonus I wrapped up a box and tied 7 ribbons to it (there are 7 songs they are singing). Every time they got a "thumbs up" on a song they got to cut one ribbon. I told them when all the ribbons were gone they could open the present. I have NEVER heard them sing the songs SO WELL! Especially the junior primary. It's amazing what a little bribery can do! They were able to open the present last week. I had put a note in the box that had a picture of a cookie with "Sister Van Orman's Chocolate Chip Cookies" written on it. I didn't know how long it was going to take them to get all "thumbs up" so I didn't want to put the actual cookies in the box. I brought the cookies in a separate container and they were able to enjoy them after primary. Apparently everybody liked them because I got asked for the recipe a lot! I'm definitely going to be doing this again next year. It really helped the kids. I've had a lot of success finding different fun activities to do with the kids to help them learn the songs. I tried making a blog and posting the ideas each week but time was working against me and it didn't last very long. I really like to make music time fun because I remember absolutely DREADING music time when I was in primary. I hope the kids are enjoying it as much as I am! It is the most fun I've ever had in a calling.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you love your calling. You've done a great job! We're going to miss you!

    ReplyDelete