Saturday, November 21, 2009

Childhood Magic

Carson lost tooth #4 a couple of days ago. He was so excited to get more money from the tooth fairy. Unfortunately the tooth fairy does not have a very good memory and his tooth was still in his tooth pillow the next morning. I suggested to him after making a quite visit to his bedroom that *maybe* the tooth fairy forgot he had a tooth pillow and she just put the money under his pillow in his bed. Mom was right! When he told one of his friends on the way to school what happened his friend said, "Cool! Now you can reuse your tooth and get more money!" Too funny!

I still remember believing in the tooth fairy, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Carson has a friend who's parents do not pass on these traditions in their family. Which is fine but this friend also goes around and tells the kids who's parents do pass on the tradition that they are not real. Carson argues with him and (as far as I know) still believes.

Some may see it as "lying" to their children. I see it as bringing a little "magic" into their lives. Children are forced to grow up too fast these days. The toy stores are filled with toys that are exactly like the "real thing" so kids no longer have to use their imagination. Everything is so logical. Like I said, I remember believing in these characters. I still remember lying in bed imagining Santa landing his reindeer on my roof and putting presents under the tree. I remember placing my hand under my pillow so that maybe I would feel the tooth fairy tickle it and I could quickly grab her and see what she looked like. I even remember imagining an oversized Easter Bunny hopping house to house. I also remember finding out "the truth". Yes, it was disappointing. But never once was I upset with my parents for "lying" to me. Rather I was upset BECAUSE I found out! I wanted to go back to being innocent and believing in the magic of it all. Christmas was a lot more fun when Santa delivered some of your gifts and not just your parents. Christmas did not become fun again until I had children and could relive that magical time through them.

Maybe I'm just trying to justify "lying" to my children. But I'm having fun with it and as far as I can tell they are too!

5 comments:

  1. Wait...you mean they're NOT real?! Holy wow! LOL, just kidding! I don't see it as lying to them either...like you said, it's just keeping the magic alive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're fans of keeping the magic alive! We've even added to the list of make-believe! We've added things like, "The Scab Fairy","The Garbage Man",and a few others!
    Anything that keeps that sparkle in their eyes is worth it! right?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. A little magic can make a big difference to a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the tangle fairy at our house. She visits every night and puts tangles in the hair of unsuspecting little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with lying to kids about holidays! It makes life more fun!

    ReplyDelete