Friday, November 13, 2009

Parent/Teacher Conference

Today was Carson's first Parent/Teacher Conference this year. I remember always going with my mom to my Parent/Teacher conferences as a child but they don't do that at his school. The student does not come. His teacher, Mrs. Lundgreen, went on and on about how wonderful he was (I'm sure he would of loved to be there. He eats that kind of stuff right up!). She said all of the students took a reading test and he tested at a 3rd grade reading level...so far. I guess he tested at the highest level you can get on the test she gave him. She is going to get the third grade reading test and see how he tests out with that one. Carson LOVES to read! Lately he has been crazy about going to the library and picking up a bunch of chapter books. His favorites are the Magic Tree House books and Tales From The Odyssey books. I can't believe how fast he can read them! We have been letting him read at night before he goes to bed with a book light for 20 minutes and he would tell me the next morning that he finished the book he was reading. At first I didn't think he was reading it all or at least not understanding all of it so I would read it and then "test" him on it. Well, I was wrong! He would answer every one of my questions with accuracy. I think it's so wonderful that he loves reading so much!

There was also a funny story that his teacher told me. I guess she was reading the kids a book about a family that lived in California and then asked the kids what they had in common with the book. Carson tells her that he used to live in California. She asks him where in California did he live. He tells her San Diego (he had an uncle that used to live there. However we have never even been there!) but he lived there when he was really little and doesn't remember it. I immediately started laughing and told her Carson was born in Salt Lake City and has lived here ever since! She couldn't believe it. THEN she said something about how Carson never went to Kindergarten. Again, I started laughing and said actually he did go to Kindergarten and it was even at the same school!! I'm a little worried that I have such a good liar on my hands. He really likes to "one up" people. You have a horse? Well, I have a horse that talks! (ok, he has never said that. As you can see, with adults anyway, he tells pretty believable stories) I should also mention that Carson not only loves to read but he also loves to write and frequently thinks up different stories. Along with wanting to be a paleontologist, an explorer, and a scientist he also wants to write books when he grows up. He has an amazing imagination. Let's just hope he starts writing down these stories instead of making people believe they are actually true!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire tested about the same on her reading! What grade is Carson in again? i forget. She also loves the Magic Treehouse books. She has been reading some of them for her take home book. Good job on raising a kid who loves to read!

    ReplyDelete